City of Exeter, California, USA • Municipal Government
In response to new mandatory state water conservation regulations, a Water Shortage Emergency Ordinance was adopted at the Exeter City Council meeting of August 26, 2014.
The mandatory regulations include:
- All City water customers shall limit outdoor irrigation of ornamental landscapes and turf with potable water to no more than two days per week, and will abide by the following watering restrictions and schedule:
- Watering of current landscaping and turf must be accomplished by use of sprinkler irrigation, a hand-held hose with a positive shut-off nozzle or a hand-held and faucet-filled bucket with, at most, a five gallon capacity.
- Customers whose addresses end with an even number shall water their turf and landscapes on Tuesdays and Saturdays between the hours of 6 p.m. – 10 a.m. Customers whose addresses end with an odd number shall water their landscapes on Wednesdays and Sundays between the hours of 6 p.m. – 10 a.m.
- There will be no outdoor watering of any kind allowed on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays.
In the coming days, all City of Exeter residents will be receiving a mailer which will include a copy of the entire ordinance.
If you have any questions regarding the new ordinance, please feel free to contact the Public Works Department at 592-3318.
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation!
For quite some time, the City of Exeter has promoted voluntary water conservation measures and has encouraged all Exeter consumers - residential, business and commercial/industrial classifications served by the City's water system – to help spread and balance peak water demands. Voluntary compliance has helped to ensure an adequate water supply and pressure for the entire City's needs, including fire protection.
Due to the increasing severity of the prolonged drought in California, the State Water Resources Control Board has adopted an emergency regulation that will require ALL urban water providers to limit their customers to watering no more than two times per week. The Exeter City Council is reviewing this regulation and is expected to adopt an Urgency Ordinance to comply with this State regulation. Watch for more developments on this issue.
CURRENT Voluntary Watering Guidelines:
Residents are asked to limit watering to the following schedule to help reduce stress on the City's drinking water supply from June 1st to September 30th annually:
- Odd numbered street addresses water only on Wednesdays, Fridays, and/or Sundays.
- Even numbered street addresses water only on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and/or Saturdays.
- No outdoor watering on Mondays to allow the City's system to recharge.
- This program also encourages all customers to turn off their sprinklers on rainy days.
- No watering between 10AM and 8PM